Aka Bitzer’s Mill/Fiant’s Mill
This mill shows up on an 1824 map as Youndt’s Fulling Mill although there are no tax records that would indicate ownership. By 1861 it was a grist mill and was owned by John B. Bitzer. Henry Martin was the owner in 1875. The next owner was Martin Fiant. It was called “Fiant’s Mill” as early as 1883. That name persisted into the early 20th century. Nathan Eberly operated it as a cider mill until it closed in 1933.
The nearby covered bridge was known as Fiant’s Mill Bridge in 1966 when it was slated to be torn down. The covered bridge avoided destruction after a successful protest. Amos Zook owned the property in 1989. It has been owned by Elvin N. Hoover since 2005 and has been expanded as part of a farm business. The covered bridge today is called the Eberly Cider Mill Covered Bridge.
The mill is located at 162 Cider Mill Road, Ephrata, PA.
|Structure||3.5 Story Stone|
|Type||Flour / Cider|
|Dam Height||6 feet|
|Capacity||20 bbl / day|