The first mention of a mill on this site was Good’s Mill in 1737. Casper Shirk owned the mill from 1787 to 1792. In 1792 it was owned by Johannes Eshback, in 1798 by Michael Wengert, and in 1810 by David Harnish. The mill was then owned by Isaac Hainey from 1813 to 1827 and he built the new brick mill in 1814. In 1815, it was described as a grist mill of brick, 3 stories high, and 60×80 feet with an attached sawmill. The brick mill was purchased by John Keeport in 1828. Keeport owned the mill until 1842 when Joseph Good became the owner. John and Jacob Good became the owners in 1850. They owned it until 1860 when it was sold to Jacob B. Good
The mill burned down in 1871. After it burned the three- and one-half story mill was reduced to a one- and one-half story mill. In 1875 the property was owned by Thomas Baumgardner and in 1899 it was owned by John H. Baumgardner. The mill burned down again sometime around the turn of the century.
|Structure||2.5 Story Brick|
|Water Source||Pequea Creek|
|Power||1 turbine, 1 undershot|
|Capacity||8 bbl /day|
Abraham H. Hess bought the property in 1906 and erected a new mill and dam. Abram Hess bought the upper mill (Baumgardner’s) from Henry Hess in 1916. Abram died in 1920 and his son, George, took over operation of the mills. Both mills were offered for public sale on October 15, 1920, by George Hess. The Burnt mill consisted of a grist mill, sawmill and cider mill and Baumgardner’s mill, a grist mill. In 1922, the road docket for the Marticville Road refers to this mill as “Good’s Mill on the Pequea now Hess’ Mill known as Burnt Mill.” Currently the rebuilt mill is being used for apartments and is in good condition.
This mill is located at 224 Silver Mine Road, Conestoga, PA.