Aka Moore’s Mill
The Centerville Flour Mill sits along Garfield Road south-east of Mount Joy. You might not notice that it is a mill because most of the mill is gone. All that is left is a small building that sits atop the turbine. The turbine still works and is connected to an electrical generator. The owner, who lives across the street, has a huge collection of mill stones.
This mill was built by Martin Greider in 1804. John H. Moore assumed ownership from about 1864 to 1899. Then the ownership transferred to Martin A. Moore. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1905 and was not rebuilt. After the fire, Martin Moore put into service a scaled down version of the mill that generated electricity for the nearby area. Later, the mill sold to Amos Newcomer and his son. In 1988 the mill was put back into service generating power for PP&L. Diana Hill was the owner in 2021.
|Structure||3.5 Story Stone|
|Water Source||Chickies Creek|
|Dam Height||8 feet|
|Capacity||25 bbl / day|
The mill is located at 4035 Garfield Road, Mount Joy, PA.