Aka Pequea Valley Mill/Flory’s Mill
The first mill on this site was built by Abraham Keagy, the husband of Ann Breneman, whose father Christian was deeded the land in 1741. The date of the first mill is unknown, but the first tax records show Abraham Keagy paying taxes on a mill in 1770. Ownership passed to Henry Keagy in 1780 and Richard Keagy in 1785. Next was Rudolph (Rudy) Keagy in 1786. Rudy Keagy built a new mill 1786. Then came Richard Keagy in 1793 and Richard sold the mill to Abraham Kendig in 1795.
Abraham Kendig owned the mill until about 1800 when ownership passed to David Greider. In 1814 it was sold to John Good by David Greider’s heirs. John Good was the owner in 1824. A fire in 1864 destroyed the mill and all its records were lost. In 1864 the mill was owned by A. Groff, in 1875 by Abraham Harnish. John B. Good assumed ownership in 1879. The plaster on the inside of one of the windows has writing that was made with a finger when the plaster was wet. It says, “John 1882”.
|Structure||3.5 Story Stone|
|Water Source||Climber’s Run|
|Dam Height||3 feet|
|Capacity||25 bbl / day|
Samuel and Ella Myer were the owners in 1885 and then Reuben B. Baker became the owner in 1888. Baker installed a new waterwheel in 1899. The new wheel was 22 feet in diameter. Water came to the mill via a nearly mile-long headrace into a holding pond located at the front of the mill. A sluice brought the water into the mill to drive the overshot wheel in the basement. Baker also added roller milling equipment. On October 12, 1907, R. B. Baker offered the mill for public auction. The listing stated it was refitted with the latest improved roller process machinery with a capacity of 25 barrels per day. The mill, situated within 200 yards of the Lancaster and York Furnace railway, was in active operation and running at full capacity. (The Lancaster and York Furnace railway was the business name for the Pequea Trolley.)
The winning bid at the public auction was Benjamin E. Flory of Lititz who became the next owner of the Pequea Valley Roller Mill. Benjamin’s son Paul B. Flory took the reins in 1920. Paul was also a partner in Flory’s mill on the Little Conestoga. The mill ceased operations in 1923. Paul passed the mill to his daughter, Suzanne McJunkin.
In 1999, Suzie McJunkin sold the property to Merle and Carrie Aukamp. The Aukamps renovated the mill into a private residence. The current owners are Brandon and Amanda Clare who purchased the property from the Aukamps in 2017. The Clares live in the mill and operate an Air B&B called “The House at Climber’s Run” in what had been the miller’s house. For information see their website at https://www.thehouseatclimbersrun.com/
The mill is located at 894 Marticville Road, Pequea, PA.