Aka Landis Mill
The farm was patented to Samuel Herr, a descendent of Hans Herr, in 1769. The first mill on the property began operations ten years later in 1779. Oddly enough, a date stone on the miller’s house reads 1763. Perhaps the first dwelling on the site was built at that date. Samuel Herr’s son-in-law, Jacob Kauffman, assumed ownership in 1780. The first mill burned down in 1810 and was replaced by the current limestone structure.
John Landis purchased the mill in 1825. In 1890 the mill began operations as a cider mill. Farmers could drop off their apples at one end and drive around and fill their barrels with freshly pressed cider at the other end. The mill served as the Windom Post Office in 1899. It was the David H. Landis cider mill in 1926. 26,000 gallons of cider were pressed in 1926. The mill was also processing 5,000 pounds of corn meal per week that was sold to the Armstrong Linoleum plant to be used to manufacture linoleum.
Paul and Edith Rohrer purchased the mill complex from Fannie Noll in 1965. The mill is presently owned by a partnership made up of Paul’s son and grandsons called “Windom Manor Farms”. The mill was the location for the first “Scream in the Dark” held by Lancaster Youth for Christ in 1969. In 1996, the mill was leased by artist Linda Lease who opened a shop called “Art Classics”. The mill is in excellent condition.
The mill is located at 3407 Blue Rock Road, Lancaster, PA.
|Structure||3.5 Story Stone|
|Water Source||West Branch of|
|Dam Height||4 feet|
|Capacity||10 bbl / day|