The first mill on the site was a sawmill owned by Andrew Herscher in 1789. He was followed in 1792 by Christian Hershey who had a stone grist and sawmill 28 by 33 feet. It was Abraham Hershey’s mill in 1801 and then the mill burned in 1814 and was rebuilt. The date stone states it was built in 1814 by Abraham & Anna Herscher.
The mill apparently was sold to a Bear between 1821 and 1824. In 1864 it was owned by Philip Smith, in 1875 by J. Smith, and in 1899 it was owned by Joshua Smith. Walter Ruhl was the owner in 1917 when the mill burned to the ground. Ruhl rebuilt by the mill one story lower in 1918. Currently the mill is in good condition and is being used for storage.
|Structure||2.5 Story Stone|
|Water Source||Chiques Creek|
|Dam Height||8 feet|
|Capacity||8 bbl / day|
The mill is located at 1676 Lebanon Road, Manheim, PA.