Aka Abbyville Mill
In the early 1700s, Hans Brubaker owned a 150-acre farm west of Lancaster City. On his farm, he built a log mill powered by the Little Conestoga Creek. Later, the farm became the property of Johannes and Barbara Steiner (Stoner) who rebuilt the mill out of stone in 1767. After 1826 the mill became the property of J. S. Graybill, in 1860, J. S. Kauffman assumed ownership. In 1864 the mill shows on the tax records with D. Miller’s Jefferson Tavern. In 1875 it was operated by Samuel Binkley, and in 1899 Aaron Summy opened the West End Park on the property. Mr. Summy planted many Silver Maple trees on the property earning it the name “Maple Grove”.
In 1912, Ralph Coho converted the Maple Grove Park into an amusement park including a large swimming pool and a roller coaster. The mill was used to store chemicals for the pool. The mill, pool and surrounding land were sold to Christ and Elain Hampilos in 1978. They in turn sold the property to Lanecor Associates in 1987 who closed the pool and built the Stone Mill Plaza Shopping Center. The county gained possession of the property in 1993 as a settlement for unpaid real estate taxes. Then, in 2001, Ecklin Development Corporation bought the mill from the county for $1.00. Ecklin planned to renovate the mill for offices and retail shops but in 2005, on Thanksgiving morning, the mill caught fire and was gutted. Today, the mill has been refurbished into office space. The Maple Grove mill is the oldest standing grist mill in Lancaster County.
This mill is located at 1501 Lincoln Highway West, Lancaster, PA.
|Structure||2.5 Story Stone|
|Water Source||Little Conestoga|
|Dam Height||4 feet|
|Capacity||10 bbl / day|